New! We are delighted to host detailed records of the staff of Ashchurch Junction compiled by Brian Harringman - Ashchurch
As is explained elsewhere on this site, The Midland Railway Study Centre has very few Staff Records to assist genealogists in their quest.Notable exceptions to this include two ledgers detailing the men of the Locomotive Department at Derby and Nottingham. These cover the period circa 1870 - 1914. Together with the equivalent ledger covering Toton loco department, these have been transcribed and are searchable on this site. Simply click the link in the box to the right of this page.
The Midland Railway Study Centre also hold an extensive collection of handwritten correspondence detailing personnel matters at Burton Goods Yard over a period of 1865 to 1909. We hope to transcribe these in due course, but the handwriting (see this example) will make it a quite a challenging job.
Otherwise, our Staff Record collection is limited. What follows is a listing of some of the remaining items
- "My Memoirs" by Joseph Arthur HICKMOTT who worked on the Midland Railway from 1905 serving at Bitton, Clifton Down, Nailsworth, Fishponds, Montpelier (1914), Tewkesbury and, in 1916, moved to Defford where he stayed for 31 years. He assisted at Evesham for a short time and, in 1947, went back to Tewkesbury as chief clerk in the Goods Office and retired in December 1949. (RFBMCT01234).
- Correspondence relating to Ganger FILLIS at Glais 1920.
- Documents relating to S. APPLEBY, Clerk, Birmingham New Street 1909-1920.
- Documents relating to William KING Train Recorded at East Ham 1923 to Goods Yard Inspector at Beeston (LMR) 1957.
- Service Record: Arthur BARNES b.10NOV1901. Cricklewood 1923.
- Service Record: Cyril Albert Douglas BEDDALL b. 16MAY1903 Cricklewood 1955-1960.
- Service Record: James CAMPBELL b.01JUN1905. Carstairs 1923 - Cricklewood 1930
- Service Record: Albert Edward CHRISTMAS b.11AUG1914. Cricklewood 1935 - 1957.
- Service Record Albert Victor CLARK b.11AUG1890. Plaistow 1912 - Cricklewood 1930.
- Service Record: Thomas Joseph ELLIOTT b.17JAN1899. Cricklewood 1920 - 1954.
- Service Record: Sydney Frank FURNELL b.05JAN1899. Wellingbro' 1920, Cricklewood 1922 - 1954.
- Service Record: William GARNER b.20OCT1875. Kentish Town 1898 - Cricklewood 1919.
- Service Record: Frank HOWARD b.17SEP1887. Cricklewood 1902 - 1938.
- Service Record: William LESTER b.23JAN1864. Crickelwood 1888 - 1919. [This record is available to download]
- Service Record: Thomas MALTBY b.15JUL1889. Mansfield 1907 - Toton - Cricklewood 1938.
- Service Record: Edward Frank PEACOCK b.18AUG1898. Cricklewood 1920 - 1960.
- Service Record: Ernest ROOK b. 10JAN1897. Kentish Town 1914 , Cricklewood 1917 - 1950.
- Service Record: James Charles RYDER b.07APR1881. Plaistow 1900 - 1928, Mansfield 1929 - 1930.
- Service Record: Francis SEPHTON b.05DEC1882. Sheffield 1898, Cricklewood 1917-1947.
- Service Record: Archibold Christopher SMITH b.23FEB1894. Kentish Town 1920 - 1955 (died in service 30JAN1955).
- Service Record: Albert Edward STEELE b.31JAN1891. Cricklewood 1919 - 1952.
- Service Record: Percy Victor SWALES b.23DEC1900. Cricklewood 1919 - 1954.
- Service Record: David Cuthbertson WILSON b.21JUN1907. Ayr 1922, Cricklewood 1931 - 1954.
We are delighted to host detailed records of the staff of Ashchurch Junction compiled by Brian Harringman - Ashchurch
If we are unable to help, your next port-of-call should be the National Archives at Kew. To get you started, we maintain a list of their collection of Midland Railway Staff Records